Lost Pets

Here are some lost pets frequently asked questions

Please click on the titles to view additional information

Yes. The following tools are available to reunite you with your lost pet:

  • Our facility has a lost and found bulletin board for posting such information.
  • Lost or found pets in our shelter or in the community can be reported or viewed at Lost Pets website.
  • If you are unable to access the Lost Pets website, you may visit our shelter during business hours to search for your lost pet.

Remember, only you can properly identify your pet. While the above resources are in place to assist you, technical malfunctions or a lack of resources may result in a missed match. We recommend that you visit the facility a minimum of every other day to look for your lost pet.

Yes, our staff scan for microchips several times, including officers scanning for microchips in the field, when the animal enter the facility and before being assessed for progression, if not reclaimed. However, because there can be technical malfunctions in the reader or chip, we recommend that you continue to physically check the facility for your lost pet.

If your pet is impounded by Mesa County Animal Services, you may pick them up during business hours at our facility at 971 Coffman Road, Whitewater. Business hours are:

Visit our Contact Us / Hours of Operation section for information

There are no local laws in Mesa County or the City of Grand Junction requiring cats to be on a leash or confined. Because there are no confinement requirements, Mesa County Animal Services can only accept cats for humanitarian reasons when the owner is unknown and the cat is sick, injured, or an orphaned neonate (4 weeks old or less).

If you have lost or found a cat, visit our Lost and Found Pets website. This site allows you to create a listing with information about a lost or found pet.

If you have found a lost dog, you have several options:

  • Visit our Lost and Found Pets website. This site allows you to create a listing with information about a lost or found pet.
  • During business hours, we will dispatch an officer to pick up the lost dog. We will do our utmost to reunite the lost dog with its owner. However, if we cannot facilitate a reunion and you are interested in adopting the dog, you may complete an interest form and we will attempt to contact you prior to placing the dog into general adoption.
  • You can bring the dog to our facility during business hours.
  • If it is after business hours, you can contact our answering service and they will have an officer call you to discuss the following options:
    • You can keep the dog until the following morning when an officer will pick them up, or
    • You can drop them off at one of our after hour kennels at various locations throughout the valley. Once our officer has obtained the information we need from you to help facilitate a reunion with its owner, you will be provided with a combination to our drop off kennel. You can leave them safely confined in the drop off kennel until our staff can pick them up, generally within a few hours.
  • If the dog is wearing a license, we can provide you with the name and contact information for the owner so you can return it home. If no license information is available the dog may be wearing a rabies tag and the veterinarian that provided that vaccination may be able to assist you in contacting the owner.
 Impound fee   $35.00
 Boarding Fee:   $8.00 per day unless the animal is being held for investigation of Dangerous Dog or Quarantine, then the fee is $12.00 per day
 Deposits:   If your pet is required by law to have a rabies vaccination and/or be licensed and you cannot provide proof that the vaccination and/or license is current, you will be required to leave a $10.00 vaccination deposit and/or a $10.00 license deposit. The deposit will be returned to you if you provide proof of a current rabies vaccination or license within the required timeframe.

If you don’t recognize the cat as belonging to one of your neighbors and you would like to keep it from returning to your property, please try the following:

  • If an unwelcome cat is regularly visiting you, make sure you are not unintentionally leaving unattended food that they are using as their food source. This could be bird feed, cat food or accessible trash.

  • Moth balls are often a good deterrent when placed in a flower bed or gardens.

  • There are adjustable electronic motion detectors that use safe, non-toxic spray technology to keep unwanted animals, including cats, raccoons and deer away from valuable trees, bushes and gardens.

  • If the cat has “adopted” your home as their own and returns for a minimum of ten days to sleep and/or eat your pet’s food and you have been unable to identify an owner, we recommend contacting one of the local area humane societies for further assistance and possible placement of the cat.

If a resident of a property determines that a cat is feral and is a nuisance and that the cat should be removed, there are private nuisance animal removal companies that they can contact to arrange for that service.

Our educational brochure “That Darn Cat” will provide more information about cats and our community.

  • A Drivers license or ID with your current address.

  • If your address is not current please provide paperwork with proof of the current address. You will need to pay any applicable fees by cash, check, Visa, MasterCard or Discover.

  • Proof of your pet’s rabies vaccination.

  • Proof of ownership which may include veterinarian bills, microchip registration, Mesa County license or a photo of your pet.