Animal Licensing

Here are some frequently asked question about animal licensing

Please click on the titles to view additional information

In Mesa County, pet licenses are mandatory for dogs and recommended for cats.

  • Found pets with licenses can be reunited with their owner in a timelier manner. Often, a helpful citizen will find a lost pet. If the pet is wearing a license, we will provide the good samaritan with the information they need to return the dog directly home to the owner. Because most pets are lost and eventually found close to home, this process is convenient for both the finder and the pet owner!

  • A lost pet with a license will often get a ride home rather than a ride to our shelter. If a Mesa County Animal Services Officer picks up a pet with a license , they will attempt to return the pet directly home or try to contact the owner to make arrangements for the pet to be returned.

  • If a pet bites someone, he or she may be eligible for an in-home quarantine instead of a quarantine at our shelter or with a veterinarian. An in-home quarantine is more convenient and cost effective for the pet owner and more comfortable for the pet.

  • License fees support the operation of animal control services and the animal shelter. MCAS returns over 60% of displaced dogs to their owners. This is considerably higher than the national average and is largely due to a database of approximately 22,000 licensed pets.

  • License fees help support the effort to rescue lost and/or homeless animals that may be injured and in need of first aid or veterinary care. Our officers respond 24 hours a day to injured animals found in our community.

In order to purchase a pet license, you must provide proof that your pet has a current rabies vaccination. You can purchase a one year pet license for $10 or a three year pet license for $25. The license will expire on the date that the current rabies vaccination expires

  • Mail: You can download and print out a copy of the Request for License Application and Renewal Form. Once completed, mail that form to us along with a check or money order and a copy of your pet’s current rabies certificate.

  • In Person: You can buy a pet license at our shelter, your veterinarian or Roice-Hurst Humane Society.